BHS remains open entire school year

Gavin Batley

Librarian Sarah Gumtow uses APEX Learning to track online student’s progress.

Gavin Batley, Reporter

The school year of 2020-2021 has been a crazy year for everyone. The fact that the school has been able to continuously stay open is impressive alone. Many might be wondering how Berlin has accomplished such a feat.

One of the biggest playing factors in BHS staying open all year was the new online program, APEX, the school started offering.

“In regards to the APEX programming, this provided an opportunity for families and students to learn in an environment that was comfortable for them in light of the extraordinary situation that we were in,” 4K-12 Director of Instruction Jodi Becker said.

Although the online element is one of the many factors that contributed to the school staying open, so are the elements put in place within the school organized by Director of Operations Josh Youngbauer. 

“We have been able to keep the spread of COVID-19 down in our school setting. Most students and staff who have been exposed and/or been infected and had to quarantine were exposed to close family members or friends who were positive for COVID-19 at home or a get-together, not at school,” Youngbauer said.

The students also play a large part in keeping the school open by following the regulations put in place.

“The students overall are doing a great job following instructions. They are wearing masks and using good hand hygiene. They practice physical distancing when in the classroom and lunchroom. There have been times they need reminding to pull their masks up or separate more; however, they have been very respectful and accommodating during these challenging times,” Youngbauer said.

Sophomore Lindsey Arndt says she feels comfortable at school knowing the precautions are in place.

“I think they’ve done a good job of keeping things normal and not letting it get in the way of our everyday lives at school,” Arndt said.