Golf team improves as season progresses

On+May+10+at+Mascoutin%2C+the+Berlin+golf+team+placed+second+overall+at+their+Invite%2C+while+teammates+Johnson+and+Kujawa+played+together+and+finished+first+overall.+

On May 10 at Mascoutin, the Berlin golf team placed second overall at their Invite, while teammates Johnson and Kujawa played together and finished first overall.

Lily Sonnentag, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Since the start of the spring sport season, the golf team has done nothing but impressively get better as the season progresses. With a couple of players placing top three individually more than once, and the team placing top three overall as well. 

“So far this season our program has seen a big improvement from the past years. The team is actually competitive with the top teams in the conference and we are usually either third or fourth in the conference,” junior Tyler Johnson said.  “I have been playing well this year. Right now, I’m first team all conference and  have a couple first and a couple second place finishes this year.” 

Teammate Noah Jourdan says he agrees with Johnson when it comes to how the team has performed so far. 

“The season so far has been great. We have been competing well with other teams and even placing,” Jourdan said. “Individually for me I have to work on a few things to up my game, but overall I am doing fine.”

At a recent home meet on May 10, Johnson and sophomore Frank Kujawa shot a two below par on a 70 par course and finished first overall while the team finished second overall. The following day, May 11, the team also had a meet. Johnson finished first with a 37, Kujawa finished third with a 39 and the team placed third overall.

“Frank and I have been playing together for a while now and we know each other’s games which has definitely helped us play very well,” Johnson said.  

In the remaining    meets the team will continue to battle for a top spot in conference. To the teams advantage, they get to play their biggest competitors each week. 

“Winneconne, KML, Plymouth, and us play together each week because we are the top four teams in the conference. They are all great teams and it’s good to play against good teams like that,” Johnson said. “We can definitely battle for that top spot in the conference.”

Each player on the team also has personal goals to help them improve throughout the season.

“My biggest goal for this season is to be able to shoot consistent 80’s on 18 holes,” junior Jaron Clinch said. “I would also like to get better at being able to forget about bad holes and do better on the next.” 

Not only does the team have personal goals, but they also have team goals and their sights set on how they hope to finish out the season. 

“A team goal we have is for us as a team to at least make it to sectionals so we can all play there together and also battle for that top spot in the conference,” Johnson said. “I’m hoping the end of the season is a strong finish for us as a team. I know that we can be that top team. We all just need to step up and play a little better each week which I know our guys are capable of doing.”

The teams next two golf meets are on May 20. The first match is at Auburn Bluffs Golf Course in Campbellsport and the second match is at Hon-E-Kor Golf & Country Club in Kewaskum.