Student hobby turns into potential career

Maddy Kresal, Reporter

When people are asked what their hobbies are, most would say: reading, writing, hanging out with friends, baking, swimming, etc. For freshman Dalton Peters, he sees his hobby as more than just an after school activity.

“I do trapping and trap shooting. I had tried trapping once and I liked it because I get to shoot things and trap animals,” Peters said. 

Peters has been doing this for three years now, going twice a week at the Berlin Conservation Club.

“I head down to the Conservation Club early for trap shooting and help set everything up. I wait for my friends to get there and then I go sign up and wait for my name to be called over the speakers. Once I’m called, I get to go out and shoot,” Peters said. 

With the experience Peters has, he does see trapping/trap shooting as a career in the future. During last year’s season, Peters made the decision that trapping is what he wanted to do with his life. 

“You can make lots of money if you know how to do it right,” Peters said.

Peter says he doesn’t see himself continuing to live in Wisconsin when he gets older but to move to Alaska with the job.

“There are way more animals to trap, different species there and no one around to bother me,” Peters said.

While trapping/trap shooting may seem easy to others, there is much more work that is put into it. This doesn’t stop Peters from doing what he loves. 

“Trap shooting is not easy. It takes a lot of focus and a good mindset. For some, shooting comes easily and others not so much,” Peters said. “Trapping is very hard because it has a lot of tricks you have to remember and you have to prepare the traps ahead of time in order to have everything ready.”