Girls basketball team kicks off season

The+girls+varsity+basketball+team+warms+up+for+their+final+practice+before+the+official+start+of+the+season.+The+team+had+a+full+week+of+practice+and+a+weekend+scrimmage+to+prepare+for+their+first+game.+%E2%80%9CThey+just+finished+three+scrimmages+on+Saturday+and+showed+marked+improvement+in+each+and+every+one+of+those+games+which+makes+me+very+optimistic+for+the+season%2C%E2%80%9D+Head+Coach+Carl+Lundin+said.+

Camdyn Rohde

The girls varsity basketball team warms up for their final practice before the official start of the season. The team had a full week of practice and a weekend scrimmage to prepare for their first game. “They just finished three scrimmages on Saturday and showed marked improvement in each and every one of those games which makes me very optimistic for the season,” Head Coach Carl Lundin said.

Camdyn Rohde, Business Manager

The girls varsity basketball team finished their first full week of practice, including a scrimmage last Saturday, Nov. 13. The team welcomed a new head coach, Carl Lundin. Lundin says that even with the challenges of having a new coach, the girls are continuing to work hard in practice and in games. 

“After the first week of practice, I feel very confident in the girls’ ability. We should be in store for a great season,” Lundin said. 

Despite the players having the necessary work ethic, senior Kara Fritz says participation numbers have proved to be a challenge for the team. 

“Our main challenge is not having many girls out. We are working with about 20 girls which is good, but it’s lower than we usually have,” Fritz said. 

In addition to low participation numbers, there are many other challenges that come with beginning a new sports season. Lundin says there are always challenges for a team with a new head coach. 

Regardless of what obstacles may be in the team’s way, there have also been multiple successes for them so far this season. Senior Hannah Nigbor says the team is adjusting well. 

“(One success for the team so far is) being able to learn things fast and being able to adapt to new coaching styles,” Nigbor said. 

The team also had opportunities to practice together over the summer.

“This summer we definitely had a lot of success in summer league and different summer activities. We grew as a team overall, not just in our skill but also in our team unity,” Fritz said. 

Now, the team prepares for their first varsity game of the season, which will take place tonight  against Princeton-Green Lake at Green Lake High School. 

“(To prepare) we are working to learn many new offenses and plays. Our defense is pretty set already as we have done most of them before. We are also trying to establish some cohesiveness between team members,” Fritz said. “We have quite a few returning varsity players, which gives us a great foundation to not only grow as players, but also to help the new varsity players as well.”