Drivers deal with rising gas prices

BP gas pump after a driver filled up. The total was $100 for 26.6 gallons of gas.

Emilee Wegner

Mia Simon, Reporter

The recent Russian and Ukrainian war has caused a lot of inflation throughout each and every country. Not only that, but the United States has been pumping more money into the economy causing price increases for many products.  By far the thing that consumers have seen the most effects of has been the increase in the price of gas. Usually the price of gas retails for around $2.35-$2.55 per gallon. With recent inflation, it has been retailing for around $3.98-$4.87 per gallon in the state of Wisconsin according to Gas Prices AAA. With this being said, some people have been changing their driving habits to help save gas and money. 

I make sure if I have to go somewhere I do all my errands at once. Since I live in a small town I usually have to drive to bigger towns to do my running and I make sure to do all my trips at once instead of driving back and forth on different days,” math teacher Shawn Erb said. 

For some students, the inflation has taken away some extra privileges such as recreational shopping, going out to eat and driving around for fun. Junior Cayli Johnson is one of those that has struggled with this problem. 

I have to save more money for gas since I have to pay for it all,” Johnson said. 

Not only does this inflation of gas prices affect teenagers, it also affects adults. Erb has seen quite an increase in how much she has had to pay for each fillup since the gas prices have changed. 

“Usually I would only pay $45 to fill up my gas tank, but now I have been paying upwards of $65. Since I spend more on gas I have to take that money away from other things to keep in budget,” Erb said. 

However, the price of oil is expected to keep going down. This is because President Biden has taken oil from the Federal Oil Reserve. Even though this is only a short term fix, it is expected to be able to last until the new physical supply can be imported from other countries. 

“The price effect is likely to be short term, but part of the benefit of this release is that it will provide a bridge to when new physical supply comes online in the second half of this year from the U.S., Canada, Brazil and other countries,” David Goldwyn who was a senior State Department official in the Obama administration told the New York Times. 

Overall the price of oil will be reduced and people will not have the stress of increasing gas prices. 

“I will be so much happier when the price of oil goes down enough where I do not have to go day-by-day budgeting my miles. I can’t wait for the sense of freedom again,” Johnson said.