Students encouraged to drive attentively through safe driving simulation

Emilee Wegner, Reporter

“Save A Life Tour” is a traveling informational program designed to show the dangers of distracted driving in many different ways. This tour goes around to schools across America, this time at Berlin High School. It started with students being called to the small gym in small groups based off the beginning letter of their last name. When students arrived, Tour Manager Hunter Miles began a summary of why this tour was important to him. Students then were offered a chance to try out the texting and driving simulator and the drunk driving simulator. While driving students may not realize how much their actions affect the others on the road.

“Last summer, I personally lost two cousins to a drunk driver. Since high school I have heard about the losses of my own classmates,” Miles said.

These simulators created the scene of a street. When using the texting and driving simulator, students began to drive and then Miles handed them a phone which they had to reply to the texts while remaining driving. 

“The simulator was hard even before texting on the phone he gave to you.The pedals were sensitive and difficult to get used to. Texting while driving made it even harder. It only seemed easier while I was at stop or yield signs,” senior Gabby Delzer said.

The drunk driving simulator works in a similar way except this time students had on a virtual reality headset and all they see is the road. As the time increased on the simulator, it made  students feel more under the influence. 

“It was harder to gauge when to turn and to know exactly what you are doing during this simulator,” senior Allie Borland said.

These dangerous driving practices affect many lives every day all around the world. Spreading awareness is one of the best things that can be done to stop it. 

“I always advocate for safe driving and I am very passionate about this job and think going around and giving this information is very important to do,” Miles said.

Tour Manager Hunter Miles talks with the first group of seniors, explaining the two different types of simulators they were able to try out. (Emilee Wegner)
Senior Allie Borland sits in the virtual reality set and tries the drunk driving simulator. (Emilee Wegner)
Senior Gabby Delzer tries the texting and driving simulator and discovers it is harder than she thought. (Emilee Wegner)
Students line up for the simulator they want to try and observe their peers using them. (Emilee Wegner)
Students were encouraged to “take the pledge,” by promising to be safe drivers. (Emilee Wegner)