Softball team starts to show significant improvement

Senior+Hannah+Nigbor+gets+ready+to+pitch+on+Friday+May+6+vs+Kewaskum.+

Senior Hannah Nigbor gets ready to pitch on Friday May 6 vs Kewaskum.

Elyse Osterberg, Reporter

The softball team has struggled to win games but has continued to keep their heads high and continue to work on their communication. With their first win against Cambria-Friesland on Friday April 29, it definitely gave them the confidence boost they needed.

We had a rough start to the season but as we progress we have started to show great improvements. Getting our first win helped with our confidence going into future games,” sophomore shortstop Macey Rilling said. 

Senior third base Hannah Nigbor has also seen the improvements made by the team. 

As far as wins and losses, it’s not looking so good. But from when we played teams the first time in the season to now you can tell that there has been improvement,” Nigbor said.

One thing the team has struggled with in the number of girls and having such a young team. 

Because we have a young team and have a very small number of pitchers, it’s hard to play back-to-back games,” sophomore pitcher Jenna Nigbor said. 

Not only have they had to adjust to a young team, they have also had to adjust to a new coach, physical education teacher Kimberly Strebe. 

“I think this season has been about making these new adjustments with the coaching staff. The season hasn’t been very successful but we are growing together and getting things figured out for years to come,” Rilling said. 

The girls are focusing their energy at practice by working on cutting back on errors and working as a team. 

“Minimizing our errors in the field would help us be much more successful. Some errors can be cleared up easily with fixing communication issues,” Rilling said. 

Nigbor says that not getting super upset from their losses, but taking them as things to improve on is something they do well. Their next game is today May, 13 vs. Omro at Omro High School.