Featured club: KIND Committee spreads holiday cheer

KIND+Committee+members%2C+Juniors+Kate+Femali+and+Alex+Budde+answered+Santa+letters+to+Mrs.+Goettl%E2%80%99s+class.+They+responded+to+letters+her+kids+has+written.+

Amy Wenig

KIND Committee members, Juniors Kate Femali and Alex Budde answered Santa letters to Mrs. Goettl’s class. They responded to letters her kids has written.

Emilee Wegner, Social Media Manager

KIND Committee is a club that is not only designed to promote kindness in the school, but they also promote kindness throughout the community. 

The purpose of KIND is to spread kindness throughout our school. The club is open to students who are genuinely kind and wish to make a positive difference in our building. Students apply and then the faculty votes,” KIND Adviser Amy Wenig said.

To club member and senior Ann Schmitz, KIND club does important work within the school.

Spreading kindness is always important and you never know what someone is going through so I think it is important to be kind to everyone,” Schmitz said.

The holiday season is the perfect time to spread kindness and cheer.

“The holiday season is big for us and we have lots of ideas planned for specific demographics. We are doing a hot chocolate bar for teachers and staff, hoping to organize a food drive for Christmas dinners that will be a competition between grade levels, and more,” Young said.

Wenig explains what the KIND Committee has done in past years to spread some holiday cheer.

“Through the years we have left positive messages throughout the school, written letters to elementary students, held a hot chocolate bar for staff, sent letters of encouragement for those that need it, and have worked in the community with nursing home residents and day care children. We also hold a community kindness day in the spring,” Wenig said. 

Along with those good deeds, senior Autumn Young mentions a few more things KIND does during the holiday season.

Young finds KIND Committee activities rewarding because they bring smiles to student and staff member’s faces. 

I joined KIND my freshman year and immediately fell in love with it. It’s cheesy, but I do genuinely love doing acts of service for other people, the smiles are so rewarding,” Young said.