Girls basketball plays hard for Peyton

Abby Milliron

Junior Emma Boegh dribbles the ball against Kettle Moraine on Jan. 23. They lost to KML 44-53.

Abby Milliron, Reporter

Girls varsity basketball on Jan. 12, the team had a fundraiser for Head Coach Ray Mlada’s four-year-old granddaughter Peyton Bornemann who has chronic Myeloid Leukemia. 

The players on the team are compassionate, affectionate young women who appear inspired by Peyton’s resilience and courage,” Mlada said.

Mlada said his granddaughter loves freshman Lakelyn Sobieski.

“Her favorite player is Lakelyn Sobieski who she calls ‘Ballet’ but she enjoys the attention and love they all share out to her,” Mlada said.

Sobieski and her team played hard for Peyton on Jan. 12.

“ I believe that Playing for Peyton made me and the team stronger because we wanted to play for her and help Peyton,” Sobieski said.

With someone like Peyton to play for, Mlada and the team are going to try their hardest to make it to the playoffs, which begin on Feb. 21. 

“The kids are capable of doing some damage in the tournament, but they have to believe in themselves,” Mlada said.

The team has confidence in themselves going to the tournament. 

“I think there’s a good chance that we will make it through the tournament as long as we communicate,” junior Emma Boegh said.

Boegh isn’t the only one with a positive outlook.

“I definitely have hope. With the hard work we put in I see us making it to finals,” Sobieski said.

As of Jan. 27 the girls have a win-loss record of 8-7. Two of their losses were the result of an overtime battle. On Jan. 23 Berlin played against Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School and lost 44-53. 

Our most difficult opponent has been Kewaskum because they are big and athletic,” Coach Mlada said. 

Their next game is tonight at Winneconne at 7:15.