Band, choir students rehearse for Solo & Ensemble

Junior Emma Latza rehearses for Solo & Ensemble on March 4.

Ariah Witthun

Ariah Witthun, Reporter

Solo & Ensemble is an annual event that Berlin band and choir students can compete in. Students get to choose from a selection of music based on instrument, difficulty and the group size. If students are in an honors band or choir, Solo & Ensemble is a required event. After a student’s piece of music is chosen, they have time to practice and then perform on March 4 in front of judges. This year, it will be held at Ripon High School.
“It takes a great deal of time. This is especially true for more advanced events. Class A literature is professional music, and it takes a ton of dedication,” Band Director Ben Ruetten said.
Junior Emma Latza plays clarinet, tenor saxophone and saxophone. She is performing a solo for clarinet and in a group for tenor and saxophone. It takes a great deal of confidence to perform up to these standards.
“To prepare, it takes a lot of time, energy, and patience, especially with yourself,” Latza said.
Each student practices their piece both during school and after. Students are given class time to receive help from Ruetten to meet with the whole group or soloist.
Senior Kaimbryn Sirrell plays saxophone, percussion and is a vocalist. Participating in four different events means more work is required.
“I can’t really speak for others, but I only practice when the entire group is available, rarely do I practice by myself,” Sirrell said.
Having experience in this kind of activity is something that honors band and choir can appreciate.
“One thing I’ve learned after three years is when you first start practicing, Solo & Ensemble feels like it’s years away, but before you know it, it’s time to perform. It’s important not to procrastinate,” Latza said.
With Ruetten having his own experience in Solo & Ensemble in his high school years, he gets to see that he is giving the same opportunity to his students.
“It’s really great to watch the growth occur. Seeing and hearing students as freshmen and seeing them as seniors is such a night and day thing. It’s fantastic,” Ruetten said.
Throughout the years of playing in Solo & Ensemble with Ruetten, the students learn something, too. After each year, they start to learn from the experiences that they can take with them after high school.
“In my early years, it felt more like a test of skill and knowledge, but as I’ve done this over and over it’s become more of a casual performance day with a group of people you trust to play well,” Sirrell said.