McCormick to join Berlin Farmers & Artists Market vendors

Anna McCarthy, Business Manager

The Berlin Farmers & Artists Market sets up in Nathan Strong Park every Tuesday starting in June. This year, sophomore Arianna McCormick will join the assortment of vendors by selling her artwork.

“I’ve always wanted to try selling my art, since I really like making it and want to make a career out of it someday, and the farmer’s market seemed like a really great place to start!” McCormick said. 

While McCormick says that her art classes have greatly helped her art career, her freshman year biology teacher was the one that influenced her to sell her art. 

Mr. Arndt is a big reason that I’m trying to get my art out there and sell it. During my freshman year I was in his biology class, and he looked through my sketchbook and told me that he really thought I could make it with art if I put myself out there,” McCormick said.

In order to get a stall at the farmers market, a vendors need to fill out a form and pay a fee.

Arianna did most of the work for the farmer’s market on her own. She went online and I helped her answer some questions. The process is pretty easy. It’s just a form you fill out and then you pay a fee for the season. The fee depends on what size stall you’re looking for and if you need electric hookup for your stall,” McCormick’s mom, Becky Boening said. 

McCormick says that she plans to sell a wide variety of different art pieces at the market. 

I’m planning on selling prints of my art at the market, along with some paintings that I’ve finished, but I may also sell things like charms, pins, and posters,” McCormick said.

McCormick puts a great deal of time and effort into each of her pieces. 

“The time it takes to make a piece varies, but on average it takes about an hour or two. The shortest it takes would be about thirty minutes, and the longest it has ever taken has been a few days of planning and working on the piece,” McCormick said.

By selling at the farmers market, McCormick is able to tie something that she says she loves with making money.

Arianna has loved art since she was old enough to hold a crayon, and she always loved walking around the farmers market to see what people were selling. She’s a very talented artist so this year she decided to see if she can make some money by doing what she loves,” Boening said.