Class of 2026 put on new grading system

Freshman+are+given+a+chart+from+the+BHS+registration+handbook+to+determine+how+many+laude+points+they+can+get+per+class.+

Freshman are given a chart from the BHS registration handbook to determine how many laude points they can get per class.

Arianna McCormick, Reporter

Principal Bryant Bednarek has started the freshman class of 2026 on the laude system with hopes to fix the competitiveness seen with the ranked grading system. 

“I’ve known about the laude system since I was in college, but I’ve done a lot more research into high school laude systems even prior to becoming principal, and then when I did become principal. We’ve spent a year, almost two years really, researching and trying to find what would be the best fit for BHS,” Bednerak said.

The switch to the laude system was also made to celebrate more students. Honors or higher level classes are replaced by laude point classes, which allow students to accumulate points and get into higher tiers of the system. Points are earned based on the difficulty or level of the class a student takes. This includes higher level classes within every subject, like taking higher level drawing and painting classes. 

“At first, I hesitated to change the system because the old system worked and change is difficult,” guidance counselor Matt Willet said. “But, as I’ve learned more about the laude system, I’m excited, because it will allow us to celebrate a lot more students for their involvement in different areas.”

The traditional grading system worked, but it took a toll on the mental health of students. 

“I have had students in my office crying about the class rank and the decisions they’ve had to make to stay in their rank, and that has happened almost every year,” Bednarek said. “There have been hard feelings between students every year with our current system, so I think this will certainly help the mental health of our students.” 

Freshman Audrey Shattuck also said that switching over to the laude system should help relieve her class of stress caused by the traditional ranking system. 

“I feel like it gives us a better opportunity to explore more classes that we’re interested in,” Shattuck said. “We won’t have as much stress taking honors classes.” 

After learning more about the laude system, sophomore Gabe Hill also says that the laude system will be a positive change for the freshmen. 

“It allows more people to shine with their individual skill sets. This new system shows the individual’s skills more,” Hill said. 

Overall, there has been no backlash to Bednarek’s decision to switch over to the laude system, and he is expecting to see a positive change come from the change.