Wenig leaves legacy of kindness

Maddy Kresal, Editor-in-Chief

After 31 years of teaching, English teacher Amy Wenig has made the decision to retire at the end of the 2022-2023 school year. Due to unexpected life events, Wenig’s decision to retire was solidified by those reasons. 

This past year life threw me a bit of a curveball. I lost my mom and sister to cancer within a few months of each other. This experience taught me that time is a precious commodity and that if I wanted to experience other things now was the time to do it,” Wenig said. 

Although tough times have caused setbacks for Wenig, coworkers have always acknowledged her positive attitude she comes with every day. 

She was a student of mine and that memory brings a smile to my face. She brings students to see her kindness, cheerfulness, expertise and dedication to her teaching that endears her to me, her students and colleagues. Not only was Mrs. Wenig a wonderful teacher, but was also a strong supporter of the community volunteering her time and effort to numerous activities.

— Retired Teacher Gary Knoke

“No matter what, she was always positive and helped her students become better people. She always made the effort to relate her teaching to life lessons,” retired principal Lynn Mork said. “I always enjoyed watching her teach. She made her classes enjoyable and the students were always ready to learn. Together we learned that BHS is a family and we do whatever it takes to take care of family and always be kind.”

As Wenig dedicated much of her life to teaching, she taught a variety of classes including Human Spirit with retired teacher Gary Knoke for 12 years.

“She was a student of mine and that memory brings a smile to my face. She brings students to see her kindness, cheerfulness, expertise and dedication to her teaching that endears her to me, her students and colleagues,” Knoke said. “Not only was Mrs. Wenig a wonderful teacher, but was also a strong supporter of the community volunteering her time and effort to numerous activities.”

Through the years, Wenig explains that even though she is the teacher, the students are teaching her just as many valuable lessons. 

“Students have taught me not to take myself too seriously, how to persevere through tough times, and how one person can have a powerful impact. I can’t forget some of the more ‘memorable’ demonstration speeches I witnessed through the years,” Wenig said. “I could honestly write a book about the great days I have had at BHS. I met my husband here. I taught my own children. I developed friends that became family. I created bonds with students. It’s been an incredible ride.” 

Mork says that the kindness Wenig shows to her students has made the largest impact on the school.

“Mrs. Wenig always has the students’ best interest in mind at every class she taught. One of the biggest impacts she had in our school was her love of teaching and watching the students grow. She has the respect of the students, her coworkers, and all the staff not only in high school, but our district,” Mork said.

With the end of the school year right around the co

English teacher Amy Wenig congratulates son Ryan Wenig on graduation day. Wenig has been a graduation advisor for the past 15 years. (Photo Submitted)

rner, Wenig reflects on what she will miss the most about BHS. 

“Without a doubt, I will miss my coworkers. I have had the privilege to work alongside some of the very best in the business. I developed lifelong friendships here and managed to laugh each day. I also was able to work under some excellent leaders. Not many people can say their former students are now their boss. I will also miss the students. They manage to teach me about life each day,” Wenig said.

Even though Wenig’s time at BHS is ending, her love for education still continues. Wenig has been offered a job at All Saints, where she will continue to pursue teaching. 

I am going to be doing some administrative work for All Saints. After I had announced my retirement, All Saints approached me with

a job opportunity. I’ve been very involved with that school for the last 25 years since my children attended it. Because I felt I still had something left in my tank and thought I could help, it felt right. I’m still going into the world of education – I just won’t have essays to grade on the weekends,” Wenig said. “I’m also looking forward to spending time with my growing family. My son is getting married next summer so I look forward to that!”