Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

News Brief: Northern lights an unforgettable experience

The northern lights are an experience that can be once in a lifetime. Being an exciting experience, Wisconsin was lucky to be able to see them for three nights in a row.
“The northern lights, also known as the Aurora Borealis, happen when charged particles from the sun collide with atoms in Earth’s atmosphere resulting in a spectacular light show,” science teacher Ben Sanderfoot said.
Wisconsin was able to see the northern lights from May 10-12, although they were much more visible on the first day. The northern lights have a few different colors and shapes.
“There are a few basic shapes/color patterns similar to how there are types of clouds. While each is unique, there are some basic patterns based on the appearance and structure,” Sanderfoot said.
Nobody in the United States had the same experience. Each town had different colors or even patterns.
“I saw them right by Drexel/Country Inn. My friend and I went down to the well to see it, but didn’t see anything. Then on our way home that’s when we saw them,” junior Taylor Koyen said.
Wisconsin has tons of greens and even red in the sky. Throughout the night the pattern of the northern lights changed.
“We see the northern lights due to interactions between solar wind and Earth’s magnetic field and atmosphere. When these particles collide with gasses in the Earth’s atmosphere they excite these atoms, causing them to emit light,” Sanderfoot said.