Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Soundwave performs finale

Soundwave+performs+their+first+song%2C+%E2%80%9CCruisin%E2%80%99+for+a+Bruisin%E2%80%9D+from+%E2%80%9CTeen+Beach+Movie%E2%80%9D+to+kick+off+the+show.++
Soundwave performs their first song, “Cruisin’ for a Bruisin” from “Teen Beach Movie” to kick off the show.

Soundwave performed their finale in the auditorium at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, May 22. This performance marked the end of Soundwave for the school year and the graduation of the class of ‘24, since Wednesday was their last day of school. 

“I’ve been in show choir for three years,” senior Camille Bruce-DeMuri said. “I’ve loved getting to perform with my closest friends and my family. I find so much joy in performing.”

Although the show marked the last performance for the seniors in Soundwave (the show choir group), it also marked new beginnings and performances to come for freshman Ariana Rozek.

“I loved performing, it was a great experience,” Rozek said. “My best memories were getting to practice with all of my friends.” 

Abbe Lane, the new choir teacher for the school year ‘23-’24, served as the director for show choir this year as well, and said she was proud to see their hard work pay off at the end of the year.

“This is my first year directing a show choir, but I participated in a competitive show choir group for two years in high school,” Lane said. “Show choir is very different from regular choir, but that is exactly why I love it. It’s been challenging to coordinate rehearsals with sports practices, so we’ve actually never had a rehearsal with everyone there.”

Soundwave offers students an opportunity not just to perform, but to build relationships with their fellow dancers and singers. 

“My favorite part about show choir is the community,” Lane said. “I love watching students lead rehearsals and their peers actually listen to them. We’ve built a mutual respect across the group to help us work together effectively and produce a really spectacular performance! I also love dancing (even though I’m not very good at it), so I enjoy learning right along with them.” 

Soundwave allows students to build these relationships throughout the years as well, since every grade is allowed to participate in Soundwave through an interview process. 

“Stick with it,” Bruce-DeMuri said. “It is so much fun and so rewarding when you’re a senior and you get to sing the senior part of ‘Bridge over Troubled Water.’ It’s one of my favorite things I did during high school.” 

YouTube player

Current Soundwave members and Soundwave alumni sing “Bridge Over Troubled Water” by Paul Simon. This is a tradition that has been passed down annually in each Soundwave performance.

YouTube player

Senior Mataya Raisleger and sophomore Kahlia Raisleger perform a dance to “Left Right” by XG. 

Choir teacher Abbe Lane gives a brief speech during an intermission to allow the performers to change. “Most of the time, the students get to choose the songs they perform,” Lane said.
Sophomore Jack Gerber looks with confusion at junior Aidan Pierstorff (not pictured) during their duet, “Your Obedient Servant” from “Hamilton.”