Student protest begins to see results

Photo Submitted

Students gather outside for a peaceful protest for LGBTQ+ rights. The protest occurred on Thursday, Nov. 4 at around 9:30 am. “I want a place where people don’t have to be afraid to go to the bathroom, or walk in the halls, or express themselves for who they truly are. I hope that people will be kinder to everyone, especially people who are different,” senior Mateja Clark said.

Kaylee Olson, Business Manager

A peaceful protest in the form of a walkout was held on Thursday, Nov. 4. Students gathered in front of the school to raise awareness for LGBTQ+  issues that have allegedly happened at BHS. The week before the protest, a transgender student accused numerous boys of sexually assaulting him in the boys bathroom at school. After an extensive investigation, the police department announced on the evening of Friday, Nov. 5 that they found there was no physical assault that had taken place. The police investigation is a criminal investigation, while the school investigation is a code of conduct investigation.  

Principal Bryant Bednarek explained the school’s investigation process in an interview. When the school receives a complaint, they file it under an official school board policy. In this case, it is policy number 2266. Then, a formal notice of the investigation is sent to the complainant (alleged victim) and any respondents (the reported perpetrator). 

“From there, the Title IX coordinator or designee(s) conduct an investigation. This would include interviewing the complainant, respondent, and any potential witnesses. It might also include reviewing other evidence such as camera footage, emails, and physical evidence,” Bednarek said. 

Before any investigations began, senior Amber Olmstead organized a peaceful protest. 

“We want to show that there is a problem within not only students but facilities as well even if you don’t hear or see every incident. We want to make students more accepting and to bring the realization that the way someone else decides to live their life in no way shape or form involves you,” Olmstead said.

“Making the school a safer environment for all students, having appropriate staff members we can go to for topics that can become controversial, creating an inclusive club for LBGTQ+ students and allies, and a safe area for students who don’t feel safe were all things brought up.”

— Senior Amber Olmstead

Since the Berlin Police Department announced that there would be no criminal charges, students have been trying to raise awareness of the situation. The protest has been on news stations including WBAY and NBC26. There have also been Facebook, Instagram and TikTok accounts made to raise awareness. An article was also featured on a very popular LGBTQ+ Instagram page with over one million followers. 

“We are interacting with community members and activists, specifically LGBTQ+, to inform them of the injustices faced by students here and we hope that this will put pressure on the school to create change and help students in other schools gain the courage to speak up,” senior Mateja Clark said. 

A group of approximately 15 students attended a meeting with administration to talk about the situations and what they want to see change. 

“We are working with a group of students to explore options. We will continue to work with and listen to stakeholders. We are looking for things we can do now and planning for things that may take more resources to pull off,” Principal Bryant Bednarek said. “We are looking at creating or resurrecting a club that supports LGBTQ+ students.” 

Many major points were brought up during the meeting. Students said that administration was accepting and was willing to work with them. 

“Making the school a safer environment for all students, having appropriate staff members we can go to for topics that can become controversial, creating an inclusive club for LBGTQ+ students and allies, and a safe area for students who don’t feel safe were all things brought up,” Olmstead said.

Berlin High School has a no tolerance bullying policy. This says that absolutely no bullying will be tolerated inside the school.

“Berlin has needed to make a change within their actions for years. The ‘no tolerance policy’ only seemed to be ‘no tolerance’ when it had to do with students vaping, swearing, or on their phones. We all hope to see the ‘no tolerance’ be in effect within all inappropriate actions,” Olmstead said.