Baseball team approaches playoffs

Paul Boegh

Freshman Luke Budde winds up to pitch against Wautoma in the non-conference game.

Jane Hoffman, Reporter

The baseball team has played many close games with most ultimately ending in losses. With a record of 3-18 the team has beaten Princeton-Green Lake, Omro and West Allis Central in non-conference matchups. Despite the losses, Assistant Coach Michael Bennett sees a bright future in this young team.
“Our strength is the underclassmen. We have a very strong group that will improve over the next three years. Our weak spots would be our hitting,” Bennett said.
Freshman catcher Luke Budde is a prominent asset to the team. Though the team has experienced close games, finishing strong has been a difficult task for the team.
“The biggest challenge has been trying to keep a positive attitude while only having three wins on the year,” Budde said.
With the post season approaching the team is practicing to be at the top of their game. Bennett has seen the most impressive performance from sophomore shortstop Brock Wilde.
“Brock hits at the top of our order and for much of the year he was hitting over .400 batting average. I expect him to get stronger over the next two years and potentially be someone we can nominate for Conference Player of the Year in the future,” Bennett said.
The team plays their first regionals game today at 4:30 away against Menasha High School.
“Menasha is the two seed with only three losses this season. It’ll definitely be a tough game but we played the two seed last year and only lost by one so hopefully we can pull out the upset,” Wilde said.