Boys swim begins season with new coach

The+team+poses+for+a+photo+at+their+last+meet+in+Port+Washington.+

Shawn Erb

The team poses for a photo at their last meet in Port Washington.

Jane Hoffman, Reporter

The boys swim season has begun with a new head coach Kimberly Neubauer. Neubauer is not new to the program as she has been coaching for the Berlin Barracudas for seven years. She has also been the assistant coach for the team as well as head diving coach for the past three years. 

“When I heard there was a vacancy and the chance of there not being a men’s season, I knew I needed to step up for them, for the seniors, who have worked so hard for the past three years. I have known most of the team for many years through swimming and knew this would be important for them,” Neubauer said. 

With the absence of a coach shortly before the season was set to begin, there was discussion of not having a boys team this year. For senior Jeffrey Manata this season is one that will be cherished forever. 

“This season is important to me because it’s my senior year and I want to end off my high school swimming career strong,” Manata said.

The season started with a varsity invitational on Dec. 3 in Plymouth and was followed by another invitational on Dec. 10 at Appleton West High School. Despite these being the first meets of the season with a new coach after losing some key seniors last year, the performance was impressive. 

“In our first meet we were able to already see improvements from the previous season and identify what things to zone in on. Though it is hard to identify top performers so early in the season, I see a lot of potential in sophomore Aidan Pierstorff in the backstroke. Having known him for many years, I know what he is capable of in this particular event,” Neubauer said. 

Sophomore Aidan Pierstorff has much built up anticipation for this season. Pierstorff stated that they must “get better, be better, and have fun” to accomplish their goals. 

“This season has a lot riding on it because I know I only have two years after this to get on the board and have a record,” Pierstorff said. 

Neubauer is confident that there will be continued growth and success all season for the team. 

“Each week I see how these young men are pushing themselves in practice and are asking questions on how to improve.  They listen and follow the guidance given,” Neubauer said.

Their next meet will be Saturday Jan. 7 at Cedarburg High school.