Cheer team prepares for successful season

The+cheer+team+performing+their+hip+hop+routine.+They+danced+during+halftime+at+the+boys+basketball+game+on+Jan.+Friday+20.+

Jane Hoffman

The cheer team performing their hip hop routine. They danced during halftime at the boys basketball game on Jan. Friday 20.

Jane Hoffman, Social Media Manager

With competition cheer season upon them, the team has been reflecting on recent performances and practice plans to ensure efficiency. The team’s most recent competition was Saturday Jan. 21, at Greendale High School where they placed fourth overall, missing third by only five points.

“The season has faced us with many challenges and roadblocks, but we keep pushing past them,” Head Coach Makenna Murkley said. 

This is Murkley’s second year coaching the cheer team. They have been able to conquer these challenges with a consistent practice plan and help from a strong senior leader.

Senior Madelynn Reabe says she is impressed with the team’s performances so far but the team’s numbers have declined this year which presents the team with more challenges.

“The challenges so far have been losing some girls on the team and having to make some changes and even create new routines. I would say the thing that made us successful is, honestly, stress. There is a lot going on with the competitions, but when we are put under stress we usually perform well,” Reabe said. 

For having such low numbers the team has made sure to implement extra team bonding to create a stronger connection among them.

“This season we are making sure to have team dinners before games or competitions and team sleepovers,” Murkley said. 

A big part of the program is trust and teamwork while stunting. The bonding they do helps them to work as one when performing and in practices. In preparation for next season after losing the seniors the team’s numbers will need to increase. 

“Keep an eye out for our Tryouts Prep Clinic in March and Tryouts in April,” Murkley said.

The team’s next performance will be tomorrow at KML High School.