Utecht retires after 31 years of helping others find their voice

+++Seniors+Ethan+Brunke+and+Anna+Schumacher+at+the+National+Honors+Choir+in+Cincinnati%2C+Ohio.+%E2%80%9C%5BI+will+take+with+me%5D+a+deep+sense+of+satisfaction+in+what+Ive+been+a+part+of+over+the+last+31+years+here+and+super+relationships+with+many+adults+and+students+throughout+the+years+that+wont+end+just+because+Im+retiring%2C%E2%80%9D+Utecht+said.+%0A

Photo Submitted

Seniors Ethan Brunke and Anna Schumacher at the National Honors Choir in Cincinnati, Ohio. “[I will take with me] a deep sense of satisfaction in what I’ve been a part of over the last 31 years here and super relationships with many adults and students throughout the years that won’t end just because I’m retiring,” Utecht said.

Ariah Witthun, Reporter

Choir teacher Lisa Utecht is set  to finish her last year teaching at Berlin before retirement. Utecht has been teaching for 31 years in Berlin but 36 years in total. She said that teaching taught her that you have to work hard and have faith in what you have been given to do. If you want to make a difference you might fail at times, and that’s okay if you learn from it.

Utecht has been singing ever since she was little and had parents that enjoyed singing and music. In high school, she was given a solo to sing titled “What Would I Do Without My Music?” and she said that pretty much sealed the deal.

“When I was a junior in high school I realized how much joy I was getting from being involved in it. I’ve never questioned my choice,” Utecht said.

Band teacher Ben Ruetten has known Utecht for half of her career at Berlin. He has supported her through all the choir concerts, musicals, extracurriculars, choir and band trips.

“We have had a tremendous professional relationship. From fairly early on there was a trust that we had that each of us always worked together for the best possible outcome,” Ruetten said.

Spanish teacher Jody Ziemann has worked with Utecht for 31 years. They share a love of music and having each other as friends. Ziemann has played the flute and piano in the pit orchestra for over a dozen musicals that Utecht has directed. 

I cherish the memories of playing flute in the pit orchestra and above all, I take away the blessings of being Mrs. Utecht’s friend. I feel so very blessed to be a member of her ‘music family’ as well as her colleague and friend,” Ziemann said.

Utecht has participated in many events throughout her years that she will now have to step back and watch from the audience. 

“I enjoyed all of the opportunities the students have to express themselves through music and the great group dynamic our musicians have. Every student has pushed me to be my best by finding ways to help them experience music and singing to its fullest,” Utecht said.

Mrs. Utecht, please never stop inspiring others and changing lives! Thank you.

— Senior Ethan Brunke

Senior Ethan Brunke has been in Utecht’s class all four years of high school while participating in all choral groups. Brunke says that one of his favorite memories with Utecht was waltzing with her on the last night of the New Orleans trip. He describes her as a passionate teacher, who bestows a great passion for music into her students.

“Starting high school, I didn’t know what I wanted to truly do with my life. Because Mrs. Utecht has been one of the teachers I have interacted with the most these past four years, she taught me a true appreciation for music and gave me choral experiences that helped me form connections, all things which helped sway my decision to take up music composition in college,” Brunke said. 

Brunke says one lesson in particular will stick with him.

“Applying yourself with passion is how you get the most satisfaction from life. You will only achieve your goals and truly be yourself when you work for what you want and do what makes you happy! Don’t assume the result of something, but be proud of what you do accomplish. Also, listen to your teachers and take their advice, as their advice can help move mountains,” Brunke said. 

With all the inspiration that Brunke has soaked up from Utecht within his years, there is one wish that he has for her.

“Mrs. Utecht, please never stop inspiring others and changing lives! Thank you,” Brunke said.

I hope that more than teaching them basic music skills, I’ve taught them to be open to all kinds of music, to listen to its message and remember the fun of working with a group of other musicians to achieve many beautiful moments.

— Choir Director Lisa Utecht

As Ruetten looks back through the years he has worked with Utecht, he sees her impact not just on students but on himself.

“I think through the years I have been able to become a bit more empathetic in certain situations because of Lisa. I think being able to work so closely with her these years has allowed me to open my perspective on certain situations a bit more. We have been able to communicate in a very open and honest way for a long time and it has proven to be so valuable. I will miss that a lot,” Ruetten said.

Utecht leaves a final thought she wants all students to know.

“I hope that more than teaching them basic music skills, I’ve taught them to be open to all kinds of music, to listen to its message and remember the fun of working with a group of other musicians to achieve many beautiful moments,” Utecht said. “Music is powerful and a lifetime skill that you can enjoy/use right up to your final day. It encompasses so many of the other disciplines as well as adding another expressive and creative element. Our musicians are some of the neatest and smartest kids I’ve known! It always amazes me to hear from former students about how music has affected them throughout the years and I appreciate it when they share that with me.”

Utecht directs a choir concert. She will take her friendships with her as she turns to a new page. ”I’ve taught for 36 years total and I’m not getting any younger – ha! While my brain tells me to teach with the same vigor I did early on, the rest of me is starting to revolt. I also have a wonderful husband who is recently retired and our two children and five grandchildren who are in need of our attention,” Utecht said.
(Photo Submitted)