Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

BHS welcomes new assistant principal Kurt Schommer

New+assistant+principal+Kurt+Schommer+makes+his+rounds+through+the+classrooms.+Schommer+checked+in+with+students+about+their+learning+and+observed+the+class+activities.+
Greyson Blaauw
New assistant principal Kurt Schommer makes his rounds through the classrooms. Schommer checked in with students about their learning and observed the class activities.

This year we have welcomed a handful of new staff, including new assistant principal Kurt Schommer. 

“I noticed he is very energetic and he seems like a go-getter,” high school secretary Emily Schubert said.

For the last 10 years Schommer taught physical education in New London, and this is his first year in administration. 

“In life I always want to grow and improve professionally and personally. I taught physical education and felt like I wasn’t growing enough. I got my master’s degree and figured I wanted to be a part of administration,” Schommer said. 

Despite being new to administration, Schommer is getting a lot of support from other staff and quickly finding his way around.

“We could tell right away he is very good at what he does. He gives me principal vibes, I could see him as the main principal in a different school,” math teacher Roberto Lara said.

In his first year, Schommer says he wants to focus and work on improving the policies and systems currently in place, before trying to create new policies. 

“I want to get my feet wet first and see how and why it’s working or not. Don’t take a fence down until you know what it’s needed for,” Schommer said.

A policy he plans to focus on first is attendance, which has been an issue throughout the high school.

“He is going to work with the kids to help with attendance issues, it’s important,” Schubert said.

For Schommer, getting to know both the students and staff have made his transition into administration more enjoyable and smooth.  

“The teachers and students have been the highlight for me these last two months. I have felt very supported by the teachers, and it seems like this is a good fit for me. I look forward to making relationships with teachers and students throughout the district,” Schommer said.