Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

BHS welcomes new science teacher

Science+teacher+Paul+Bell+%28right%29+helps+science+teacher+Anna+Maramonte+%28left%29+go+over+her+notes.+This+was+during+their+prep+period+in+Maramonte%E2%80%99s+room.+%E2%80%9CMr.+Bell+is+helping+me+get+adjusted+to+the+school+and+the+curriculum%2C%E2%80%9D+Maramonte+said.+
Science teacher Paul Bell (right) helps science teacher Anna Maramonte (left) go over her notes. This was during their prep period in Maramonte’s room. “Mr. Bell is helping me get adjusted to the school and the curriculum,” Maramonte said.

Science teacher Anna Maramonte has started her first year at Berlin High School, and says she is excited to start the year off right.

“I decided to teach science because I love science. I have a huge passion for it,” Maramonte said. “Being able to explain complex concepts and ideas is something that I really enjoy, and I love getting to see my students grow and gain an appreciation for science.”

Before she came to Berlin, Maramonte did an internship at Platteville High School, teaching sections of freshman biology for a semester. This fulfilled her student teaching placement. 

“When I was little I always thought that I was going to be an elementary school teacher,” Maramonte said. “Then I got into middle school and high school and I was thinking more about the medical field. In college, I decided that teaching science was where my passions were really at.” 

During her time at BHS, Maramonte has gotten to know and become friends with the other faculty members. Science teacher Paul Bell specifically has acted as a mentor for her as she adjusts to a new school.

“She’s going to do great, she’s a hard worker,” Bell said. “She’s organized, she’s got a fountain of knowledge. What’s really going to drive her is her passion for science in general, specifically the ones she enjoys, the life sciences. She’s very knowledgeable.”

Bell has been working as a science teacher at BHS for 12 years. When he initially came to Berlin, the recently retired science teacher, Patrick Arndt served as a mentor for him. 

“He helped me out a lot, took me under his wing,” Bell said. “We became pretty good friends. We could talk about work together. There was a lot of support, but he also pushed me to learn things on my own, too. He knew when to help but also when to let me take my own steps. 

Fellow teachers are not the only ones that have appreciated the new science teacher. 

“I was a bit nervous to have a new teacher, but I think Ms. Maramonte is doing an amazing job so far,” senior Jenna Tuinstra said. “It’s been quite entertaining and thoughtful how she presents materials. I am looking forward to having her Advanced Biology class both semesters.” 

With a warm welcome from fellow faculty members and students, Maramonte says she is thrilled to start working at BHS. 

“I’m super excited to be here and I think the school culture is really amazing. I’m very excited for the classes I get to teach and the students I have. Everyone has been super welcoming and nice so far,” Maramonte said.