Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Slonecker joins staff as special education teacher

Tess Kujawa
New special education teacher Amy Slonecker works in her classroom. She comes to Berlin with 21 years of experience in her field.

Amy Slonecker joins faculty for her 21 year of teaching. 

“She comes to us with a lot of experience and new ideas, which is great for the students we work with!” special education teacher Christine Dallmann says. 

Before coming to Berlin, Slonecker had worked at Oconomowoc Developmental Training Center, Brown Deer Middle School, Charter Hospital, TriCenter School – CESA1, and Rosendale Intermediate.

“I am enjoying working with high school students again,” Slonecker said. 

Slonecker is teaching special education for freshmen and sophomores. Slonecker earned her bachelor’s degree in elementary education/learning disabilities and her master’s in emotional/behavioral disabilities in middle/high school. 

“I enjoy having a variety of classes to teach instead of focusing on one subject,” Slonecker said. 

The Special Education Department has a very tight-knit group of teachers. 

“All the teachers work closely together to pool our expertise, share resources and best practices, and work together to help all of our students be successful in school both academically and through social and emotional learning too,” special education teacher Suzanne Wood said. 

Slonecker has made a great addition to the department. 

“She is very kind and excited to be here in Berlin, and is willing to ask questions and help our students in any way possible. I can see she is reliable and a team player,” Dallmann said. 

Slonecker says she enjoys the connections she makes through her job. 

“I am looking forward to getting to know my students and families along with all of the teachers and staff,” Slonecker said. 

Her past experience has equipped her well for this position at the high school. 

“We are very fortunate to have a teacher who can bring their expertise and skills and transition right in and require very minimal training. She fits right into the BHS family,” Wood said.