Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

English Department welcomes Humy

New English teacher Emily Humy instructs her Early American Literature students to write a ‘Where I’m From’ poem during class. “I love explaining literature or an English concept and watching the lightbulb go off in someone’s head,” Humy said.

English teacher Emily Humy has joined the rest of the staff at BHS as a replacement for the recently retired Amy Wenig. 

“This is my first official teaching job,” Humy said. “I student taught at Oshkosh North High School in the spring of 2023. It was actual experiences with other college students or children that solidified my desire and pursuit of English education.” 

Humy was a former student at BHS up until seventh grade, and has been looking forward to coming back to a small town.

“I felt so excited and grateful to be given the opportunity to return to Berlin and teach at this amazing school, and to try to fill the shoes of Mrs. Wenig,” Humy said. “I have started to get to know all of the amazing staff here, especially the English department and my fellow new teachers.” 

One of the other English teachers, Angela Femali, has acted as a mentor for Humy and is helping her adjust to the school. 

“Mrs. Humy is mature beyond her age,” Femali said. “She is very capable as a teacher, she’s organized, professional, and just has it ‘going on’.”

Femali is also excited about what Humy is going to bring to the English Department and the classroom.

“I’m super excited about what she brings to the department. She’s got youth, enthusiasm, and a unique perspective on things,” Femali said. “Her work ethic is fabulous and she has great skills for someone just starting out. She’s establishing herself nicely as a knowledgeable and capable teacher.” 

Students have also begun to notice and appreciate Humy for what she adds to the classroom.

“I really enjoy having English with her,” junior Aleea Lichtenberg said. “She creates a fun atmosphere every day with fun assignments that coordinate with our lessons.”

School, for many students, can feel boring and repetitive; however, Humy has brought enthusiasm and energy to the classroom. 

“I have enjoyed the energetic aura that she brings with her to class every day,” Lichtenberg said. “She teaches well and creates a safe environment. I am sure she will accomplish great things here at BHS.”