Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Berlin High School welcomes new technology and engineering teacher

Evans is teaching his furniture class about the Shop-Vac’s importance and how to properly use it. He also explains to them about when it is needed.

Berlin welcomes the new technology and engineering teacher Bryan Evans. He is a graduate of Berlin High School. For college he attended Moraine Park Technical College, where he received an associate’s degree for criminal justice. He also has prior experience as a correctional officer. Evans is able to teach at Berlin because he has a vocational work license, which means he can teach in technology and engineering because he has enough experience in the area.
Evans heard about the job by receiving a phone call from Principal Bryant Bednarek asking if he was willing to fill in for Berlin’s prior technology and engineering teacher Joel Johansen who retired last year. Johansen was previously Evans’ teacher when he was in high school.
“In January of this year, my business shop burned down and I lost everything. One day after cleaning up, I came home and told my wife I wanted a career change. Woodworking is what I love to do most but I want to also share my passion and teach,” Evans said.
Evans says his goals are to inspire more students and let them expand their creativity. He wants to challenge students to create things that they are proud of and want to try again in their free time. There are many techniques he would like to show students such as design opportunities and stain colors.
“We get to make a cabinet and not just buying a set and following instructions. I’m excited to actually build it,” junior Dillon Nighbor said.
Evans had some help from technology and engineering teacher Bret Steffen. Steffen helped Evans with learning things around the shop and showed him around some computer programs. Steffen says that Evans has the potential to help grow parts of the program and make it more relevant to the students and what will come after high school.
“He is working really hard at trying to find ways to best explain things to kids. I like that he puts a lot of thought into classroom management. As a person who has never taught before I like that he is always thinking of ways to improve and learn and asks questions,” Steffen said.
Evans thinks he may possibly go back to college for his teaching degree. He enjoys working with students. Steffen says Evans is going to be really effective with the students and engage and develop skills that can also be used outside of school.
“I have only worked a few jobs in my lifetime. The warm welcome I received through the district has made this a smooth transition for me. I’m looking forward to the rest of the 23-24 school year,” Evans said