Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Staff Editorial: Lunch service staff underrecognized

The+Red+n%E2%80%99+Green+staff+believes+that+the+lunch+service+staff+deserves+more+recognition+for+their+hard+work.++
The Red n’ Green staff believes that the lunch service staff deserves more recognition for their hard work.

The week of October 9-13 was recognized as National School Lunch Week. Even with a week set aside to notice the food service staff, they are still extremely underrecognized. 

Our lunch service staff work hard every day to provide lunch for both the middle and high school students. Despite this, they receive little to no recognition for the work that they do. According to Superintendent Dr. Emmett Durtschi, the food service staff serves approximately 137,700 lunches a year, along with 50,400 breakfasts.

Despite this statistic, students do not recognize or appreciate the hard work lunch service staff put in daily. Many take the opportunity for food for granted, sometimes even disrespecting the work our lunch service staff put in by wasting their food. The Red n’ Green staff believe that our lunch service staff should receive more recognition and appreciation for the work they do. To show appreciation for our staff, students should thank them while getting their food, properly throw away any trash and dispose of their trays, and appreciate the food that has been prepared for them.