Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Tech class takes trip to Operating Engineer’s Externship

Senior Noah Bending, senior Kansas Hanson, junior Eliel Abreu, and junior Zeath Hoinaki-Lowe participate in an excavating simulation. “I really liked the simulations. We learned about some of the equipment at the training site, including learning how to use excavators,” Abreu said.
Eydie Reiser

The Boys and Girls Club of the Tri-County area teamed up with tech and engineering classes to take students on a field trip to the Operating Engineer’s Externship in Coloma on November 14. 

This field trip provided opportunities for students to learn about the many facets of the construction career field and practical steps to become apprentices upon high school graduation,” graduation specialist Eydie Reiser said.

Throughout the day, students were took on a tour of the 400-acre training center and met management and workers in various areas of the construction field. Students learned what to expect if they entered this field.

“This trip was very beneficial to me because it showed me a lot about this career and what the training would look like,” junior Eliel Abreu said.

During the trip, students were surprised to see Governor Tony Evers in the simulation room. 

“Because of The Boys and Girls Club, I was able to connect with him because of a previous interaction. I introduced him to our crew and we got to say ‘Hi.’ We watched him do a VR experience as well. He also went around the room and interacted with the students,” Reiser said.

Students stop for a picture with Governor Tony Evers while at the Operating Engineer’s Externship field trip. Photo courtesy of Eydie Reiser.

The Boys and Girls Club typically takes students on this trip on their own, this being the first year they partnered with the school. Tech and engineering teacher Chris Much went on the trip with Reiser and the students.

We plan on making this an annual or semi-annual trip. We can accommodate 16-20 students per visit. This trip was funded through the Boys and Girls Club and I can’t thank the club enough for the opportunities they provide to our community,” Much said.