Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Ski and snowboard club to start trips in January

Ski+and+snowboard+club+adviser+Jared+Marshall+reviews+the+informational+packet+for+ski+and+snowboard+club.+%E2%80%9CUsually+on+average+we+have+about+20+students+per+year%2C%E2%80%9D+Marshall+said.+
Ski and snowboard club adviser Jared Marshall reviews the informational packet for ski and snowboard club. “Usually on average we have about 20 students per year,” Marshall said.

Members of the ski and snowboard club will be taking trips to Nordic Mountain to go skiing and snowboarding in January and February of 2024, with four predetermined dates already chosen. The dates in January will be the 16 and 23, and the dates in February will be the 13 and 20.

“Ski club has been offered at the high school for as long as I’ve worked here,” ski and snowboard club adviser Jared Marshall said. “It goes back a good 40 years.”

Marshall has been the adviser for the ski and snowboard club for thirteen years. He did it for eight years at the middle school, and this year marks his fifth year as club adviser at the high school. 

“I love skiing. I’ve been doing it for as long as I can remember,” Marshall said. “It’s a fun way for me to share something that is a passion of mine and a hobby of mine with our students. It’s a great way to get outdoors for the winter when I think a lot of us try to hide indoors.”

The club offers a convenient opportunity for students to go up to Nordic Mountain when they cannot yet drive themselves. It allows them to ski and snowboard with friends that are in the club with them.

“I like that it gives people the opportunity to go there if they normally can’t go out there,” freshman Katera Hartzke said. “You can also get lessons there.”

Students can join the club even if they do not know how to ski and snowboard with the lessons provided, although a lot of students join because they enjoy skiing and snowboarding. 

“I joined it because I like snowboarding and I go a lot,” freshman Leah Sonnentag said. “I knew how to ski, but then I switched to snowboarding in seventh grade.” 

The process for signing up includes getting an informational packet from Marshall, which will have a code and website url. Students can use this to become part of the club. 

“Sign up, have fun. It’s a great opportunity to either learn a new outdoor sport or to just hang out with your friends and go skiing or snowboarding,” Marshall said.