Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Early graduates get head start on their future

AJ Elm
Eighteen students graduated early at the end of second semester after meeting all requirements for a high school diploma.

Students have the opportunity to graduate a semester early in their senior year. Graduating early can have benefits, but can also have many downsides. 

“Students that graduate early can miss out on interacting with their peers and lose that social construct,” according to guidance counselor Ann Ragus.

Students normally choose to graduate early to join the workforce or to save for college.

“I have all my required credits, and am ready to start saving for college tuition. I wanted to graduate early so when college starts I don’t feel stressed out about having no money,” senior Lucy Marks said.

Some students have very interesting and unique career paths they wish to pursue.

“I like to watch ‘True Crime’ episodes and ‘Hawaii 5-0’. I’ve found it very interesting and plan to pursue a career in forensic science,” senior Gracie Pence said.

Early graduates must schedule their classes in advance and make a plan for how to obtain all credits before the spring semester of senior year.

“It is honestly really easy to graduate early, just talk to your counselor and see what classes are required and see if you have met those requirements,”  Ragus said.