Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Ziemann retires after 43 years at BHS

Spanish teacher Jody Ziemann has taught at Berlin High School for 43 years. She says she loves to help grow the hearts and minds of the students she teaches and that’s not going to stop.
Photo Courtesy of Jody Ziemann

Spanish teacher Jody Ziemann is retiring after 43 years of teaching at Berlin High School. However, she is not going to stop teaching and changing the minds of students.
“I am applying for teaching jobs in Spanish at the H.S. level and in Spanish, Education and Curriculum at the university level. I would like to teach college foreign language methods classes and work with student teachers who wish to teach languages at any level,” Ziemann said.
Ziemann has taught a total of three classes this year. The classes were Spanish 5 during the first semester, then Spanish 2 during the second semester, and Spanish 4 both semesters. She also coordinated with the Aspiring Educators class. Because of the decreased enrollment, most of Ziemann’s classes will not run next year.
“Enrollment has dropped overall at the high school and in all classes, especially in specialty areas. Spanish numbers did not warrant more than one teacher for next year,” Ziemann said.
With the long period of time that she has spent in Berlin, Ziemann is at the point where she is now working with her past students. One of those students is Bryant Bednarek, the current principal for Berlin High School. He was in her classes in 1999 through 2001, where he took Spanish 1 and 2.
“Mrs. Ziemann has never stopped growing or learning. She loves to try new things. She earned her doctorate degree a few years ago as well. She is always trying to get better, which is what we want from everyone associated with our school,” Bednarek said.
Ziemann has also been very involved with things outside of her classroom. She was in charge of the National Honors Society, took tickets at different sporting events, worked in the concession stands, and helped to organize and plan many trips for students.
“One thing many people may not know is that she single-handedly ran our Staff Sunshine ‘Group’. She raised funds and kept tabs on when staff got married, lost a loved one, etc. and always provided them with a card/gift. She is a big reason we have a positive staff morale at our school,” Bednarek said.
Another student from her past that Ziemann is currently working with is foods teacher Missy Daubner. Daubner has been a Spanish teacher for 23 years and recently became a FACS teacher. She met Ziemann in 1986 and took Spanish 1 through 4.
“First of all, Mrs. Ziemann affected me as a student. Her fun style and teaching strategies helped me develop a love for the Spanish language and culture. Also, Mrs. Ziemann has made me a better teacher. I have learned so very much from her. She is a true professional and has always strived to create engaging and relevant activities to teach her content,” Daubner said.

This is a photo that was in the Berlin Journal from the 1996 trip to Spain. (Photo Courtesy of Jody Ziemann)
This is the 2004 trip to Peru.
“I believe my greatest contributions are the current teachers I helped to inspire. I am proud of the number of Spanish teachers who began their language journey in my classroom, whether as students, student teachers or interns,” Ziemann said. (Photo Courtesy of Jody Ziemann)

A big part of Ziemann’s life is traveling. She has been to Mexico, Peru, Spain, and more. This includes traveling with students through the school, and on personal time with friends and family.
“In 1989 she took me to Mexico for the first time on a school trip. Mrs. Ziemann is fun to travel with,” Daubner said.
One of her current students is sophomore Jack Gerber. Gerber has taken only one class with Ziemann, Spanish 2. Ziemann said that she connected most with Gerber during the recent Guatemala trip this year.

“I will probably miss how she can teach the language in a fun and engaging way that makes it easy to understand. Mrs. Ziemann is a good teacher in and out of school,” Gerber said.
Throughout the years the traveling program in the Spanish Department has given so much. This gives students an opportunity to experience a new culture, and compare the things that they are used to with the things that they are not.
“It has been an honor and a true pleasure to watch students use their Spanish and grow personally while experiencing the cultures of Mexico, Spain, Peru and Guatemala,” Ziemann said. “I am proud of the number of Spanish teachers who began their language journey in my classroom, whether as students, student teachers or interns!”