Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Plath joins the school as new School Resource Officer

School Resource Officer Zach Plath joined the staff of Berlin High School. Officer Plath wants to get to know the public more. “I like to watch movies on the weekend in my free time. My favorite are action and comedy,” Officer Plath said.
Autumn Nikolai

Officer Zach Plath was hired to replace former School Resource officer Michael Bennett.

One of the reasons Officer Plath came to Berlin was because he says he is looking for new things in law enforcement, and is looking forward to being able to get to know the Berlin community more.

“I wanted to grow in my career after I came out of the academy,” School Resource Officer Zach Plath said.

Officer Plath has been at the Berlin Police Department for a little over three years.

“Officer Plath is honest and hard-working. He has genuine concern for the community and truly enjoys working as a law enforcement officer,” Chief of Police Brian Pulvermacher said.

Principal Bryant Bednarek says he is confident in Officer Plath’s abilities and also looks forward to developing a working relationship with him.

“Officer Plath has experience as a patrol officer but also demonstrated that he could communicate and relate to the needs of students and families. The role of the School Resource Officer is complex,” Bednarek said. “Preserving safety and enforcing the law is certainly a big part of it, but so is helping to coordinate services and build relationships with stakeholders. I feel confident that Officer Plath can succeed in all facets of his position.”

Officer Plath’s responsibilities are going to be watching the parking lots while educating students and making sure they follow the law.

“Officer Plath is very approachable. Say hello, or give him a high-five. Please don’t hesitate to speak with him if you become aware of any safety concerns,” Pulvermacher said.

Plath’s performance will be evaluated by both the school and police department.

“I was part of a panel that included Superintendent Durtschi, Ms. Pariso, Chief Pulvermacher, and some other members of the Berlin Police Department. We interviewed the candidates and scored them. We also gave them some time to shadow former SRO Bennett to ask more questions about the position. Officer Plath’s experiences and skills made him a strong candidate for the position,” Bednarek said.

Officer Plath has an open door policy.

“If anyone wants to come and talk to me, my door will be open when I’m here,” Plath said.

Officer Plath watches traffic flow on the Berlin

High School roof during lunch period on September 12.