Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Agriculture classes refresh school garden

Melissa Miller
Students dig up trees and clear the space for the new improvements in the garden. “My Ag classes are doing this along with help from Miller Farms, who used heavy equipment to remove things and fill in the pond. The students earn grades through participation, and Miller Farms donated their time and equipment,” agriculture teacher Melissa Miller said.

Agriculture  teacher Melissa Miller has ideas for the garden. 

“The space was very overgrown and was not being used for anything. (It) truly just became an eye sore and a dumping ground for garbage,” Miller said. 

Students started working on the school garden at the end of last school year. 

“I helped pull out trees and move heavy stuff,” junior Dillon Nighbor said. 

Students along with help from Miller’s family farm used big machinery to help remove the trees and fill in the pond. 

“The changes made to the garden included filling in the pond, removing trees, bushes, and statues. We scraped the floor of the garden to get rid of all the weeds, rock, and edging that were throughout the entire floor. We currently have grass seed in the hopes to have grass growing in the springtime,” Miller said. “The reason for doing this is to create an area that can be better maintained and that students, staff, and community members can all use.” 

Agriculture students clean out the pond in the school garden located on the west side of the building. Most of the clearing out happened over the summer.
(Melissa Miller )

Math teacher Angie Clark has not helped with the school garden, but says she loves the idea of redoing it, especially since she can see the garden from her classroom window. 

I think it’s a great idea to give students and teachers a clean and refreshing space to work outside or enjoy their lunch on nice days. It’s also a great way for teachers to change up their learning environment from time to time. I think all classes could take advantage of the outdoor space as a learning tool,” Clark said. 

The next step for the school garden is going to be getting the grass to grow and possibly having some furniture made.