Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Student Council raises money through annual Gobbler

Tech+and+Engineering+teacher+Bret+Steffen+prepares+to+compete+in+the+Gobbler.+The+race+was+held+on+Thanksgiving+Day+at+Nathan+Strong+Park.++
Lauren Burgess
Tech and Engineering teacher Bret Steffen prepares to compete in the Gobbler. The race was held on Thanksgiving Day at Nathan Strong Park.

The Student Council hosted their annual Gobbler at Nathan Strong Park and raised $765 in donations on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday Nov. 23. The race began at 9 a.m. while the free registration started at 8:30 a.m.. 

Despite the chilly weather the race brought in 150 people. With minor preparations necessary the race was not only a great time for participants, it also was a time for the Student Council to collect donations to help them give back to the community.

“With the large sum of participants we were able to raise $765 for the Student Council,” Student Council Secretary Lauren Burgess said.

The organization meets during homeroom on Fridays where they were able to do all the preparations necessary for a successful event. 

Prior to the race we had to apply for a permit from the City of Berlin and order the raffle prizes,” Student Council Adviser Jennifer Leahy said.

In order for runners to register they had to sign a precautionary sheet and decide which route they would be taking according to the map provided. 

“Runners and walkers had the choice to pick between a 1-mile route that went by the schools or a 5K led by posted signs. Our race required a form to be filled out for legal purposes, which then were placed into a raffle for our table of prizes,” Student Council Co-President Kate Femali said. “There were turkey themed prizes such as Gobbler shirts, a turkey tutu, turkey hats, and lots and lots of socks.” 

This year’s Gobbler was seen as a success primarily because members of the community came together to enjoy a fun start to their holiday. 

“50 prizes were given away to participants and we collected donations that were put into a fund to help other people. Overall it went well and everyone enjoyed themselves,” Leahy said.