Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

High school students pursue dance at local studio

+Senior+Aaliyah+Mosman+and+sophomore+Aliva+Kasuboski+wait+to+take+the+floor+before+their+performance+at+the+Milwaukee+Bucks+halftime+show+for+Laura+School+of+Dance.%0A%0A
Laura Genord
Senior Aaliyah Mosman and sophomore Aliva Kasuboski wait to take the floor before their performance at the Milwaukee Bucks halftime show for Laura School of Dance.

There are two students from the high school dancing for Laura’s Dance School, senior Aaliyah Mosman and sophomore Alivia Kasuboski. Both are in other sports within the school, while still pursuing dance.

“I love dancing so much. It’s fun, and for me it’s a way to release stress,” Kasuboski said.

Through practice, the dancers have mastered difficult skills that can prove to be tough for beginners.

“I would say the hardest thing to learn or to do would either be an aerial cartwheel or a needle spin,” Mosman said.

Both these skills are very hard to learn and accomplish. The aerial cartwheel is when the front leg lunges and the back leg drives back creating momentum doing a cartwheel in the air with no hands. The needle spin is when one foot is flat on the ground in line with the shoulders, and the opposite leg is kicked back, reaching for the sky.

“Both of the girls are amazing tumblers, and they can both leap and turn very well. Those are hard skills to learn,” studio owner Laura Genord said. 

Mosman and Kasuboski both say they agree that their biggest inspiration to keep on dancing was and still is Mandi Genord. Mandi happens to be Laura’s daughter, as well as one of the instructors at the dance studio. 

Mandi is my biggest inspiration. Mandi is the coach’s daughter. She graduated from Alabama and I always looked up to her throughout my years of dancing,” Mosman said.

Dance teacher Laura Genord makes sure that all the girls and boys have the same opportunities and that they can go to every competition. Some of their competitions consist of performing against other dance companies at places as far away as New York, Los Angeles, and Gatlinburg. Some of their performances consist of dancing at the halftime show of the Milwaukee Bucks game. 

“Our Nationals this year will be held in Wisconsin Dells,” Mosman said.