Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Alumni Spotlight: David Meza ‘15 retires from pro European League of Football

Courtesy of David Meza
David Meza ‘15 hurdles over safety linemen from Leipzig Kings, on his way in for a touchdown. He played tight end in the European League of Football. He was one of four from America playing for Stuttgart Surge in the city of Stuttgart, Germany. The record for this European league in 2023 with Meza on the team was 8-2, placing them near the top of their conference.

David Meza, class of ‘15 has had a long career in football. After high school he played football at Carroll University for four years and even played for European leagues in the years leading up to COVID. 

“I retired from football in spring of 2023, and now work in the Green Bay area for a company called Beacon Building Products in the construction industry,” Meza said.

Meza attended Carroll University for business administration with two minors in communication and marketing, all while playing football. Meza says it took him a while to realize what he wanted.

“I was far from the best student my first few years at Berlin, but it is never too late to realign your priorities and go for your goals,” Meza said.

Meza was known as a very strong player in high school and Head Football Coach Joe Stellmacher says he got to watch Meza become the best version of himself. Meza even went to the playoffs for football and went to state for wrestling.

“His class was very special to me. He played football in the 2014 season. That was the first team to qualify for the playoffs since I was a head coach–they were the first group to do that. David was a tremendous part of that as a team player and a team captain,” Stellmacher said.

David Meza ‘15 catches the ball in a corner route against Frankfurt Galaxy. A corner route is where the receiver runs up the field and then turns at approximately a 45-degree angle.

Former college roommate Griffin Idelman has seen the qualities that Meza showed out on the field.

David is someone who leads by example and isn’t afraid to call others out if they’re being lazy. I think he’s an empathetic leader who understands that not everyone is talented, but everyone has the chance to work hard. He had a shoulder injury in high school and then a few ankle injuries during our time on the same team so I think that he recognized how much of a gift it is to be able to play the game,” Idelman said.

Meza always looked up to a couple of people when he began to play football because they seemed to be his biggest supporters and helped him along the way. 

As a kid it was Donald Driver and Jordy Nelson who inspired me, but as I continued to play it was my teammates and family that inspired me. Nothing beats the camaraderie of a team, especially when some of your teammates are your best friends,” Meza said.