Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Staff Editorial: Students, staff, and community members work hard to help local teacher in need

The+Red+%E2%80%98n%E2%80%99+Green+commend+the+community+for+raising+funds+and+awareness+for+special+education+teacher+Ray+Mlada+as+he+recovers+from+cancer+treatments.++
The Red ‘n’ Green commend the community for raising funds and awareness for special education teacher Ray Mlada as he recovers from cancer treatments.

Groups and communities in and around Berlin have worked hard to raise funds and awareness for special education teacher Ray Mlada and deserve recognition for their hard work. Mlada was diagnosed with stage four squamous cell carcinoma back in Dec. and is currently on leave to focus on recovering. 

Mlada is the head coach of the varsity girls basketball team, and back on Jan. 22 the basketball team put together a fundraiser to raise money for his cause. They also played a home game against Ripon, where the Ripon team wore “Rally for Ray” shirts in support of Mlada’s recovery. 

The basketball team is not the only group raising awareness and funds for Mlada; the BHS staff put together a jean day to raise money. Surrounding communities in Berlin such as the Farmers and Merchants bank, Ripon, Winneconne, and Omro have fought to raise awareness and funds for Mlada’s situation.

The Red ‘n’ Green praises these groups and individuals that have fought hard to raise funds and awareness for Mlada. It is truly commendable to set aside time to help someone else without expecting anything in return, and with all of the support shown to Mlada from the community The Red ‘n’ Green is hopeful that he will make a full and speedy recovery.