Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Softball starts season with pancake breakfast

Jane Hoffman
Members from the softball team working the money table at the pancake breakfast on March 9.

The girls softball team hosted a pancake breakfast fundraiser at the VFW on Sat. March 9. The fundraiser raised a total of $1,950. The breakfast was $10 for adults, $5 for kids 7-12 with 6 and under being free. The breakfast additionally had a bake sale with treats made by families. The idea for the breakfast came from assistant coach Tom Breunig but the team agreed it was an easy fundraising idea that would benefit the team and involve the community. Head Coach Kimberly Gensel knew the team needed more supplies to ensure a smooth season.
“We are fundraising for new warm up jackets as well as more equipment we can use for outside on our field, such as pitching nets and ball carts,” Gensel said.
The team woke up early to carry out the 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. fundraiser. With many of the girls present, the fundraiser ran smoothly. The help from parent volunteers was also greatly appreciated.
“Tom Breunig led the fundraiser with the help of Krista Sobieski, Christie Rilling, and Mandy Helmuth making this event possible,” senior Macey Rilling said.
The program was very appreciative of all the customers for showing up and helping the team financially.
“This fundraiser would have been nothing without the parents and coaches that helped plan the event along with the great community who supports us,” sophomore Lakelyn Sobieski said.
The fundraiser created further involvement with the community and with their purchases and donations the team surpassed their goal.
“We exceeded our goal amount. I figured we would raise around $1,000, but we ended up raising close to $2,000,” Gensel said.
The girls will be in action tonight at the Riverside Park softball diamond at 4:45 p.m. facing Manawa.