Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Schumacher wins annual pie day competition

Calculus+students+made+pies+for+pi+day%2C+March+14.+Thomas+Schumacher+won+the+event+with+his+ice+cream+pie.+
Jane Hoffman
Calculus students made pies for pi day, March 14. Thomas Schumacher won the event with his ice cream pie.

Pi day is March 14 due to the significant date 3/14. Pi in mathematics is 3.14, the constant that is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. This day is celebrated annually by the Calculus class with the pie making contest. This year’s winner was junior Thomas Schumacher.
“His was an ice cream “pi”. An ice cream pie molded into the shape of a pi symbol,” math teacher Shawn Erb said.
A panel of judges gets voted in to judge the pies. They judge the pies on creativity, taste, relationship to pi, appearance, smell, and after taste. After the scores are tallied from all the judges the winner is selected.
“There were a lot of really good tasting pies, but if I had to pick, I enjoyed the peanut butter pie the best,” Assistant Principal and pi day judge Kurt Schommer said.
This year’s competition contained Greek spinach, peanut butter, blueberry, caramel apple, banana cream, ice cream, mint chocolate chip, and pecan pies. Ultimately, Schumacher’s pie won the event with his cumulative score. His name will now be put on the pi day plaque.
This annual event provides a lighter experience for the students in a tough course.
“I hope they had fun with the activity as it brought a lot of joy to many people. Whether it was making the pie with a classmate, or sharing a piece with your superintendent, it was an enjoyable experience,” Schommer said.