Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Theater Department presents ‘Almost, Maine’

Ian Werch
The Theater Department chose “Almost, Maine” for the spring play. The play features nine short stories all taking place in the town of Almost, Maine. Show dates are April 11 and 12 at 7 p.m. “It does the comedy, it does the romance, it does the heartbreak all very well,” Director Abbe Lane said.

This year’s play will be “Almost, Maine.” Showing on April 11 and 12 at 7 p.m., “Almost, Maine” differs from a typical play, as it is composed of nine loosely connected short stories all taking place in the small town of Almost. The stories all share themes of love and longing, friendship and isolation, melancholy and hope. The play uses humor to portray ordinary people in odd situations. 

“It’s one of my favorite plays of all time. I think the stories are really sweet, I think the characters are super relatable, and I think it’s really funny. Something I think we needed was a little comedy,” Director Abbe Lane said.

With a large number of roles and such a small cast, most actors will be playing multiple roles, some upwards of three different roles. During auditions, the actors were each given three different monologues for different characters. Junior Aiden Pierstorff, who plays East and Lendal,  did research on his characters so that he could better match their mannerisms and their reactions to certain situations.

“These are real people having conversations. They’re not cartoony or overly expressive, they are just themselves,” Pierstorff said.

“Almost, Maine” presents a change of pace for Pierstorff as his last three characters have been fictitious and quirky. For sophomore Meradeth Reinsbach (playing Marcy & Sandrine), arguing with her co-star Jack Gerber (playing Jimmy, Phil, & Dave) will be the hardest part of her roles.

“Me and Jack, we’re chill. But me and Phil, we aren’t chill,” Reinsbach said.

“Almost, Maine” is a new blend of every classic theatrical theme, comedy, romance, and heartbreak. Tickets will be sold at the high school office.

“Come watch the play!” Pierstorff said.