Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Trap team on winning streak

Melissa Miller
Going right to left are sophomore Dierks Martin, juniors Owen Hutzler, Ali Young, Dalton Peters, and senior RJ Gropp won their first shoot of the season 226-209 at the Berlin Conservation Club.

The trap team has recently had a shoot on April 15 against North Fond Du Lac, winning 238-237. Trap shooting is where participants shoot 50 clay birds for a total possible 50 points. The members of the trap team score as a team.
Coaching is relatively new for supervisor Melissa Miller with 33 students. She was given this opportunity by the previous coach Mark Trampf. Miller said she took this opportunity with open arms because she thought it would be a good fit for her to be the supervisor, since she has shot trap herself at the Thursday night league for three years now, with an average individual score of 17 out of 25.
“I never competed in high school because my school didn’t have a team, and I have only been shooting trap for three years,” Miller said.
The trap team competes against Fond du Lac, Waupaca, Oshkosh, Winneconne, and Omro.
Sophomore Dierks Martin is a top five shooter. Being in the top five means that they are the best shooters and have hit almost a perfect score, which is 50 out of 50 birds.
“So far this season I’ve shot a 45, 46, and 47 out of 50 birds, which is so far good and I’ve made the top five, two out of three shoots. I have a 46 average out of 50,” Martin said.
Martin and junior Ali Young were both honored for being two of the best shooters out of 25 students on the varsity team. There can be only 25 on the varsity before they have to put some on their JV team.
“The thing I like most about trap shooting is the guns we get to shoot with because I haven’t shot off a shotgun until now,” Young said.
This sport is not only for students; it is also meant for older community members who may see it as a teaching opportunity or a leisure sport.
“My family did trap and my grandpa did trap a lot. I wanted to get into doing trap because I was always down at the conservation club as a young kid and it interested me. I joined my trap in eighth grade where I shot JV for that year, and then I shot varsity last year, and now varsity this year,” Martin said.
The next competition is on April 22 in Omro at Springbrook Sportsman’s Club.