Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Tech and Engineering Department receives donation

The Tech and Engineering Department received a donation of tools and resources from David Sievert’s widow Joan Sievert. The donation consisted of riding lawn mowers, tillers, snowblowers, push mowers, small gas engines, two stroke engines, weed wackers, car engines, and a valve grinder. 

David Sievert was a man who could fix almost any type of small engine, car and truck motors, and boat motor,” Joan Sievert said. 

The donation will allow an extra tech and engineering class to be created, turning Engines 2, which is currently an independent study, into a class where students can learn about larger car engines and how they motor a car. They will also introduce an Engines 3 which will then be an independent study. 

“It really allows us to add a whole new class in here,” tech and engineering teacher Bret Steffen said. 

Th donation has got both teachers and students excited. The new class will allow for further experience for students pursuing a career in mechanical engineering. 

“I’m really excited. Some of these new projects are stuff that we’ve never gotten our hands on and it’s just exciting to be able to get hands-on experience,” junior Micheal Sahotsky said.

This donation was an opportunity to honor David Sievert’s memory and his dedication to his craft.

David encouraged young people to learn his trade, whether or not it was a pastime, adventure in learning, or a stepping stone for further education,” Joan Sievert said. 

They are looking forward to repurposing the engines and they are expecting to learn lots from it.

“Hopefully we can get it all running,” Sahotsky said. 

The fact that the donation came from David Sievert is no surprise to anyone that had known him. 

“David’s life revolved around serving others, and would barter cows, chickens, or whatever if a person couldn’t pay the bill,” Joan Sievert said. 

The donation will offer up valuable experience for the students, who say they are grateful for everything he donated. 

“I just want to say thank you to David Sievert for all the cool and unique engines and equipment he brought to us,” Sahotsky said.

There are specific pieces from the donation that students are excited to work with and gain experience from. 

“This little lawn mower has this front mower and it also has a snow blower and a tiller that can go on it. And this little trailer tilts, like a dump trailer, everybody’s excited about it. I’ve been trying to keep it hidden,” Steffen said. 

David Sievert had lots of older motors that were donated the students are eager to try. 

“He got a lot of small riding lawn mowers that were given and I feel like those are just really cool, and he’s got some cooler antique ones that are really interesting and just a weird setup that’s cool to learn,” Sahotsky said. 

This donation is not only a testament to the life that David Sievert led, but also a show of passing on the torch for younger generations and helping them succeed.

“It is not only fitting that David Sievert be remembered for helping students learn, but also giving of his tool and motor legacy is just simply the right thing to do,” Joan Sievert said.