Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Girls basketball heats up with winning streak

Noah Gilbert
Guard Jane Hoffman makes her second free throw shot. The Indians defeated Wautoma at home 51-40 on Dec. 5.
YouTube player

The girls basketball team won three consecutive games against Wautoma on Dec. 5,  51-40, Ripon on Dec. 7, 54-35, and Chilton on Dec. 9, 50-47. 

“Our game against Wautoma went pretty well, I personally had a good game and our defense was really good as well,” forward Callie Kurczek said.

The team struggles with numbers, only having 12 girls on the team. Regardless, they have a current record of 6-2.

“Our defense is especially good this year and we know our offense pretty well. We just have to work on shooting and finishing,” center Claire Bartol said.

During practice, Head Coach Ray Mlada makes sure to include the fundamentals while also working on weak points, such as shooting.

“Practice is typically around two hours and we work on a lot of shooting and defensive drills,” Kurczek said.

Basketball is a very physical and mental sport, and the team has their own ways to prepare for games.

“As a team we usually listen to music in the locker room before games to get hyped. Sometimes we even wear matching outfits,” Bartol said. 

The players are not the only ones who have to prepare for games, Coach Ray Mlada also has to be ready.

“I watch a ton of coaching films to get an idea of what I’m going to say or plan for our upcoming game,” Mlada said.

The team is hopeful their season will continue to go well.

“I think our season is going really well and I believe it will continue to go well,” Bartol said. “Our shots are starting to get better. We just have to continue to work on it.”

Their next game is Thursday against Waupun at home.