Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Boys lose close game against Waupun

Abby Milliron
Sophomore Hayden Redington jumps to swipe the ball to his teammates on Friday, Dec. 15 against Waupun at home. The boys lost in a buzzer beater shot 55-53.
Sophomore Hayden Redington throws a free throw at Berlin against Waupun on Friday, Dec. 15.

Berlin high school’s varsity boys basketball played a home game against Waupun on Friday, Dec. 15. The final score was 53-55. They were tied 53-53, and with three seconds left, Waupun took the ball and scored the final two points with a buzzer beater.
“I think we outplayed Waupun for the majority of the first half,” varsity Head Coach Jeremy Mercer said.
Senior CJ Hudson mentioned a highlight from the game.
“Senior Alex Johnson had good hustle play in the game when he passed the ball as a save from going out of bounds,” Hudson said.
Hudson agrees with Mercer that the team handled the ball well with pressure.
“I think the team did a good job with taking care of the ball,” Mercer said.
Mercer mentioned that the team could  have been more efficient if they worked on getting the ball down the court and made closer shots rather than going for the long shots. Hudson said that getting back on defense during those last three seconds would have helped them possibly win the game.
“I would say we had a good offense. We got good looks on the floor with passes, decisions, and ball movement,” Hudson said.
Mercer tries to prepare the players for games and plans to focus the team on how to handle pressure better.
“We go over scouting reports, we watch film, just try to put them in the positions they are not familiar with so when in the game they are in those positions they know their role,” Mercer said.
Their next game is tonight at Winneconne.