Breaking News
The Student News Site of Berlin High School

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

The Red 'n' Green

Boys basketball advances to regional semifinals

Senior forward Wyatt Hamersma shoots free throws on Tuesday night against Adams-Friendship. The Indians were 23-26 from the free throw line on Tuesday.

The boys basketball team defeated Adams-Friendship 77-51 in their first regional game at home on Tuesday, Feb. 27. The team was led in scoring against the Green Devils by senior forward Wyatt Hamersma with 19 points.
“Some strengths were that we played together well and made our free throws,” Hamersma said.
The team will now advance in their regional but plan to make some improvements going forward.
“There were too many turnovers. We had some stretches where we were a little bit careless with the ball against their zone. Taking care of the ball and executing on both ends of the court will be important for Friday,” Head Coach Jeremy Mercer said.
With their weaknesses in mind, senior guard Alex Johnson is confident in what they know.
“We moved the ball well on Tuesday against their zone and our communication on defense was good,” Johnson said. “For Friday we need to study the game plan that Coach Mercer gives us and lock into the player scouts.”
The boys will face Wautoma tonight. Wautoma leads the South Central Conference with a record of 19-5.
“They have two very good scorers. We need to be able to contain them in some fashion. Also, taking care of the ball is a major key,” Mercer said.
The boys will play tonight in Wautoma at 7 p.m. in the regional semifinal. The winner of tonight’s game will advance to play either Altoona or Elk Mound Saturday night in the regional championship game.